No surprises, Luis Suarez leads FPL captain options
Many Thanks to @RotoZdroik from RotoExperts for this Guest Post
It’s funny how so much of Fantasy Premier League success relies on one player. If you captain the wrong guy each week, you’ll surely be near the bottom of the rankings in any league you’re a part of.
Lately, it’s been quite simple. If Luis Suarez isn’t on your team, you’ve likely fallen more than a few spots in the standings. Despite missing the first five games of the campaign due to suspension, Suarez leads the league with 14 goals, not to mention he has another seven assists and 18 bonus points. His price has risen to Robin van Persie levels this year (12.7m) and will continue to do so until he’s stopped.
After Suarez’s last two matches, his ownership has increased by about 10 percent and now sits at 41.4. Roughly 60 percent of people that play FPL are missing out on Suarez and are slipping in the standings. Hey, Sergio Aguero is great, but his 13 Fantasy Points in the past three matches don’t even come close to Suarez.
Surprised? Luis Suarez leads the captain options this gameweek. Photo Credit: Badudoy
So what I’m saying is, you need Suarez and you need to captain him if you want to succeed.
- Luis Suarez, Liverpool
- Eden Hazard, Chelsea
- Romelu Lukaku, Everton
- Wayne Rooney, Manchester United
- Sergio Aguero, Manchester City
- There’s nothing more to say about Suarez. I don’t care that he’s on the road or playing Tottenham, he’s in form and that’s almost all that matters. Granted, he hasn’t scored or assisted in two of his past three on the road.
- It’s kind of a toss-up each week for who’s going to be involved in the Chelsea goals as Andre Schurrle was the man to own last weekend. Still, we know Hazard (Ed. Midweek rumour he could be rested) will be in the lineup and it wouldn’t be surprising for the Blues to score at least three.
- Somewhat silently Lukaku continues to perform. He has scored or assisted in four straight matches with three of those games coming against Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal. Now the Toffees face Fulham, who has been one of the worst teams as of late.
- Villa’s defense doesn’t present a whole lot and usually struggles against the top clubs. Wayne Rooney will be back from his yellow card suspension and looking to continue the form he was on.
- While this is a tough match up for Man City and Aguero, I had to include him on this list. Aguero’s right behind Suarez in terms of consistency and Arsenal can be beat, especially at the Etihad.
If you don’t like to go with the norm, guys like Gary Hooper and Loic Remy can be looked at, as both have favorable home games. Of course, other players from Chelsea and Everton can be used as well.
Check out our full suite of Fantasy Sports radio shows and podcasts! Listen to your favorite RotoExperts live or on demand, including the legendary Lenny Melnick, Tim McCullough, Jake Ciely, Gregg Sussman and many more. We cover Fantasy Football all week long and baseball year-round right here on ROTORADIO.
Adam joined RotoExperts in 2008 as a member of the Scout/Player Updates Team. Throughout the years, Adam has written articles encompassing a number of sports. If you like your Fantasy advice full of numbers and straight to the point, look no further. Find him (@RotoZdroik) on Twitter, to get a daily take of what’s happening in the sports world